This is a DRAFT posting for a 2019 summer student position with the Salt Spring Arts Council. We are awaiting funding before we can confirm this position, at which time we will update the Job Description, Deadline for applications, and other details. Please contact us if you are eligible and interested.
- The following position is open only to a full-time student who is returning to full time studies in the fall.
- Position subject to funding.
Overview of the Position:
For more than 50 years, the Salt Spring Arts Council (SSAC) has celebrated and promoted the arts as a vital part of our community. SSAC serves our Salt Spring Island community by offering a wide array of arts programs. We operate historic Mahon Memorial Hall in the heart of Ganges village – the Hall is home to our gallery, programs and offices. The Workshops Assistant will gain experience working in a dynamic arts service organization by supporting the operations of the Workshops on the Rock Program (WOR) – the SSAC’s program dedicated to providing exceptional arts learning for kids, youth and adults. The Assistant will support operations support the delivery of three kids Summer Art Camps, and compile the 2019-20 Artist in the Class Catalogue for print and online distribution. The successful candidate with manage Camp registrations, assist with program promotions, manage art supplies and camp materials, and assist the Camp instructor in all aspects of educational delivery and supervision.
Under the direction of the Program Manager, support the Summer Art Camps:
- Respond to registrations and inquiries
- Ensure registration binder is complete
- Sourcing and managing materials inventory for Camps, including equipment set up and tear down
- Assist instructor in delivering workshop content
- Provide supervision during drop-off, pick-up and lead activities during breaks
- Assist with program promotions including brochure and poster distribution, posting events to social media and to the SSAC website
- Input all registrant families into SSAC database
- Edit and compile the Artist in the Class Catalogue and prepare for print and online distribution
- Provide camp documentation (photos, newsletter submissions) to support camp reports
- Assist with all aspects of daily office duties such as answering phones, emails, filing, photocopying, etc., and other duties as assigned.
Qualifications – The ideal candidate will have:
- Strong passion for the visual arts; experience in the visual arts highly preferred
- Strong public relations skills;
- Experience or passion working with children;
- Ability to multi-task;
- Physically fit and able to work both in an office an outdoors;
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team;
- Strong computer skills; familiarity with word and excel an asset;
- Strong time management skills;
- Drivers license and access to vehicle an asset;
- Must be willing to undergo a Criminal Records Check;
- Must be between the age of 16-30 at the start of employment;
- Have been a full-time student (high school, college, or university student) in the semester preceding and, intending to return to full time studies;
- Preference for student studying Education, Art History, Arts Admin, Fine or Studio Arts.
Term of Employment:
Rate of pay: $15.00/hr. – 32.5 hours per week (9 weeks)
Position will begin no later than June 10 and run through August 9.
Deadline for application: to be confirmed
Please email your cover letter and resume to:
Salt Spring Arts Council
114 Rainbow Road, Salt Spring Island, BC V8K 2A5