This is a DRAFT posting for a 2019 summer student position with the Salt Spring Arts Council. We are awaiting funding before we can confirm this position, at which time we will update the Job Description, Deadline for applications, and other details. Please contact us if you are eligible and interested.
- The following position is open only to a full-time student who is returning to full time studies in the fall.
- Position subject to funding.
Overview of the Position:
For more than 50 years, the Salt Spring Arts Council (SSAC) has celebrated and promoted the arts as a vital part of our community. SSAC serves our Salt Spring Island community by offering a wide array of arts programs. We operate historic Mahon Memorial Hall in the heart of Ganges village – the Hall is home to our gallery, programs and offices. The Gallery & Outreach Assistant will gain experience working in a dynamic arts service organization by supporting the operations of the Artcraft Exhibit which opens mid-June and runs throughout the summer. Artcraft consists of numerous exhibits including the rotating Summer Showcases on the Stage, the outdoor exhibit Art on the Hall, and the retail gallery showcasing locally made fine art and craft. The Assistant will support the multi-faceted exhibit operations including set-up, inventory, retail and customer support, and liaising with community and with artists. The Assistant will play a key role in summer promotions, with a focus on design, distribution, social media and direct community outreach. The Assistant will also provide support for artists to develop their online profile and update exhibition and artist details on the SSAC website and newsletter.
Under the direction of the Artcraft Manager and the Executive Administrator:
- Assist with annual Gallery set-up, inventory and artwork delivery
- Assist with Artcraft Showcase Exhibitions, hanging and receptions
- Assist with all aspects of exhibit promotions: including graphic design, community engagement, social media, and website updates
- Provide customer service and retail support in the Gallery
- Assist with various Gallery duties including maintaining stock, data entry, customer service and communications with local artisans
- Deliver a consistent presence for SSAC and the arts through outreach at the Saturday Market
- Support and promote exhibits and events through updating website, and maintaining an online presence
- Bi-weekly contributions to community newsletter and online exhibit content
- Assist with all aspects of daily office duties such as answering phones, emails, filing, photocopying, etc., and other duties as assigned.
Qualifications – The ideal candidate will have:
- Strong passion for the visual arts
- Strong public relations skills;
- Experience in graphic design and a keen eye;
- Experience in a retail setting;
- Ability to multi-task;
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Strong computer skills; familiarity with word, excel, graphic software and website an asset
- Strong time management skills;
- Must be willing to undergo a Criminal Records Check
- Must be between the age of 16-30 at the start of employment
- Have been a full-time student (high school, college, or university student) in the semester preceding and, intending to return to full time studies
- Must be available to work Saturdays, and some evenings
- Preference for student studying Art History, Arts Admin, Fine or Studio Arts.
Term of Employment:
Rate of pay: $15.00/hr. – 32.5 hours per week
Position will begin May 20 and run through August 31.
Please email your cover letter and resume to:
Salt Spring Arts Council
114 Rainbow Road, Salt Spring Island, BC V8K 2A5