Title: Exhibitions Assistant
Salt Spring Arts Council, Salt Spring Island, BC
- Deadline for Applications: April 20
- The following position is open only to a full-time student who is returning to full time studies in the fall. Position subject to funding.
Overview of the Position:
The Salt Spring Arts Council (SSAC) celebrates 50 years of promoting and celebrating the arts in our vibrant community. SSAC serves our Salt Spring Island community by offering a wide array of arts programs. We operate historic Mahon Memorial Hall in the heart of Ganges village – the Hall is home to our gallery, programs and offices. The Exhibitions Assistant will gain experience working in a dynamic arts service organization by supporting the operations of the Artcraft Exhibit which opens mid-June and runs throughout the summer. Artcraft consists of numerous exhibits including the rotating Summer Showcases on the Stage, the outdoor exhibit Art on the Hall, and the retail gallery showcasing locally made fine art and craft. The Assistant will support the multi-faceted exhibit operations including set-up, inventory, promotions and design, retail and customer support, and liasing with community and with artists. The Assistant will also work to update exhibition and artist details on the SSAC website and newsletter.
Under the direction of the Artcraft Manager and the Executive Administrator:
- Support the delivery of special events for Artcraft’s 50th Anniversary
- Assist with annual Gallery set-up and artwork delivery
- Assist with Artcraft Showcase Exhibitions, hanging and receptions
- Assist with all aspects of exhibit promotions: including community engagement, social media, and website updates
- Provide customer service and retail support in the Gallery
- Assist with various Gallery duties including maintaining stock, data entry, customer service and communications with local artisans
- Deliver a consistent presence for SSAC and the arts through outreach at the Saturday Market
- Support and promote exhibits through updating website, and maintaining an online presence
- Bi-weekly contributions to community newsletter
- Assist with all aspects of daily office duties such as answering phones, emails, filing, photocopying, etc., and other duties as assigned.
Qualifications – The ideal candidate will have:
- Strong passion for the visual arts
- Strong public relations skills;
- Experience in graphic design an asset;
- Experience in a retail setting;
- Ability to multi-task;
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Strong computer skills; familiarity with word, excel, and website an asset
- Strong time management skills;
- Must be willing to undergo a Criminal Records Check
- Must be between the age of 16-30 at the start of employment
- Have been a full-time student (high school, college, or university student) in the semester preceding and, intending to return to full time studies
- Must be available to work Saturdays, and some evenings
- Preference for student studying Art History, Arts Admin, Fine or Studio Arts.
Term of Employment:
Rate of pay: $15.00/hr. – 32.5 hours per week
Position will begin May 15 and run through August 4, with the possibility of extension until Sept 1. Work days are Tuesday through Saturday, with some evenings.
Deadline for application: Friday, April 20, 4pm.
Please indicate in your application if you meet the following eligibility criteria:
Young Canada Works states that a student may be eligible for employment if they:
- are a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident, or have refugee status in Canada (non-Canadians holding temporary work visas or awaiting permanent status are not eligible);
- are legally entitled to work in Canada;
- will be between 16 and 30 years of age at the start of employment;
- are willing to commit to the full duration of the work assignment;
- will not have another full-time job (over 30 hours a week) during the Young Canada Works (YCW) work assignment;
- have been a full-time high school, college, CEGEP or university student (as defined by their educational institution) in the semester preceding the YCW work assignment; and
- intend to return to full-time studies in the semester following the YCW work assignment.
Please email your cover letter and resume to:
Salt Spring Arts Council
114 Rainbow Road, Salt Spring Island, BC V8K 2A5