Please Note: the Call for EAS2019 Curators will be posted shortly. Check back here! Update: the 2019 Call is HERE.
Deadline for 2018 Submissions: Friday, September 15, 2017
Since 2007, the Salt Spring Arts Council has presented the Easter Art Show (formerly Tour). Each year Mahon Hall has a curated anchor exhibit of fine arts (photography, painting, sculpture) by artists from the Southern Gulf Islands (School District 64 boundaries). Past exhibits have included single artist surveys, duos, group and themed shows.
During the 10-day event Mahon Hall also hosts a variety of public events showcasing the fine and performing arts. Events include performances, artist talks, films, works by youth, and workshops. All the events are complimentary to the theme or parameters of each year’s exhibition. The Easter Art Show Committee oversees the planning and production of each year’s event, with specific components of the 10-day event directed by members of our artistic community.
The Easter Art Show seeks to:
- Promote artists and the arts in our community;
- Create opportunities for the public to explore the work of, and engage with, local artists;
- Support the development of curatorial expertise in our community;
- Ignite integration and collaboration amongst artistic disciplines.
CALL FOR PROPOSALS
The Salt Spring Arts Council is inviting members of the community to submit proposals for the 2018 Easter Art Show. The invited curator will work with the EAS Committee to direct all aspects of the 2018 fine arts exhibit.
(Please note the deadline for Easter Art Show, 2019 will be in March of 2018, but we are happy to review applications at any time from September 15 onwards.)
Modest Honorarium commensurate with experience and proposal: $1000-$2000.
The selected Curator is responsible for the artistic direction of a 10-day fine arts exhibit in Mahon Hall, March 30 – April 8, 2018. The exhibit must feature local visual artist/s (SD 64 boundaries).
The Curator will be responsible for creating the parameters of the show and all aspects of the exhibit, including selection of work, liaising with artists and installation. Working with the 2018 EAS Committee, the Curator will provide input into all aspects of event production, marketing, scheduling, and delivery. The curator must also plan for spaces where the main gallery can also host performances by local performing artists, which are suited to and complementary to the exhibit.
Please include the following details in your proposal:
- A brief CV
- Proposal for the exhibit (no more than 1-2 pages) outlining either artist/s selection or within what parameters they will be selected, exhibition theme, feasibility, suitability for Mahon Hall, special considerations;
- How does the exhibit theme inform potential public events and performance art opportunities;
- Are there any special materials/ equipment required other than normal gallery lighting, pedestals and hanging spaces;
- Cover letter indicating why you believe you can curate this show and/or indicate curatorial support you may require.
Submit your proposal by email by September 15, 2017:
Easter Art Show Committee
Salt Spring Arts Council